I spend a lot of time in the kitchen – cooking, baking (more than I like to admit), and having several trial and error attempts at new recipes. I’ve discovered over the last couple of years that there are a handful of products that have been extra beneficial to me in the kitchen, and have probably kept me from giving up on learning how to bake. Here’s a look at my top ten favorite kitchen gadgets – if you get frustrated in the kitchen easily, these products definitely make the job a whole lot easier.
1. Wooden Cutting Board Although any cutting board will do, my wooden board has held up so much better than my plastic ones. And besides – it looks prettier left out on my counter.
2. Measuring Spoons This particular set of spoons is the best. They are stainless steel and have more than your typical set (2 tsp, 2 tbsp, etc). It’s one of the best I’ve found.
3. Marble Pastry Board A board that stays nice and cool longer, and helps your dough from getting sticky – perfect for people like me who take forever to cut out cookies (or who extend their baking prep time by 30 minutes just to make sure I’ve got the right picture in).
4. Egg Yolk Separator This will just make your life easier, I promise. Who really has time to toss the yolk back and forth between the shells until all the whites have fallen out? Or to start over because part of the egg they didn’t want got in the batter?
5. Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer I can’t say enough good things about this. It is my number one reason I ever want to be in my kitchen. Just trust me.
6. Citrus Juicer Do yourself a favor – get a juicer so that when you squeeze a lemon into your perfectly made batch of icing, you don’t then have to go fishing for that squirmy little seed that somehow found its way into your dessert.
7. Utensil Holder Because everything you need should always be just an arms reach away.
8. Scale So many cookbooks call for things in ounces – save yourself some time on Google converting measurements and just invest in a scale.
9. Marble Rolling Pin Another thing I didn’t know what I was missing until I had this. The marble keeps the pastry from sticking and always stays the perfect cool temperature. It’s also significantly more heavy than wooden ones, and therefore much less pressure is needed when rolling out dough (an added bonus if you have nonexistent arm muscles like me).
10. Mini Spatulas You don’t realize how useful these little guys are until you reach for them every time you cook. They get in every little corner of any kitchen appliance. Soon you’ll wonder how you ever lived without them.